Saturday, April 28, 2012

Force Google Chrome to use google.com as the Default Search Engine with Omnibox

As an American living abroad, it's somewhat annoying that the default search engine in Google Chrome in conjunction with Chrome's Omnibox is set to google.ch rather than google.com. Here's what I did to force Chrome to use google.com. You could adjust the following to suit your particular needs.

Step 1: Open Settings in Google Chrome.

Step 2: Under 'Basics', click on 'Manage Search Engines...'

Step 3: Delete all the search engines that are present.

Step 4: Set up a new entry with the following as the URL (all one line):

https://google.com/search?{google:RLZ}{google:acceptedSuggestion}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:instantFieldTrialGroupParameter}sourceid=chrome&ie={inputEncoding}&q=%s

Step 5: Add the new entry as the default search engine. The setting should look something like this:


Piece of Cake!!!

1 comment:

sketharaman said...

I was able to solve a pesky problem after reading your blog post. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't do BTC. If you accept PayPal, I'll be happy to make a small donation. BTW, I was unable to delete the basic Google search entry, nor create a new one called Google. I worked around this by titling my new entry as "G". Otherwise, everything mentioned in your post worked "as advertised".